for High School students in the Vermont counties of Addison, Chittenden, Franklin & Grand Isle
SHADOW DAY is a one day Health Careers Exploration Program in partnership with Fletcher Allen Health Care, Northwestern Medical Center, VNA of Chittenden and Grand Isle Counties and Addison County Home Health and Hospice. Shadow Day offers an opportunity for high school students to develop comfort in the health care field while shadowing a health care professional in his/her work setting. Students will explore a health care field of his/her interest and strengthen skills and resources needed for such a career. Students will receive confidentiality and infection control training, and interactive presentations by health care professionals.
Who should apply?
Vermont Addison, Chittenden, Franklin & Grand Isle County High School students who are:
- Currently in 10th- 12th grades
- Available to attend the entire program
- Interested in problem-solving, using the newest technologies, and relating to people
- Concerned about today’s health issues
- Interested in learning more about a number of different health careers
- Interested in strengthening skills and resources for career development
Participants will . . .
- Develop comfort in a health care environment
- Interact and connect with various health care professionals
- Get an in-depth view of what it’s like to be a health care professional through a job shadow experience
- Explore and strengthen skills and resources for health career development
- $25 non-refundable fee (scholarships are available)
- Lunch and snacks will be provided
- Students are responsible for transportation to and from the program
Admission to the Program
- Students must submit an application and one recommendation form completed by a professional in the school who knows them well.
- We have limited space available.
- A committee of program staff at Champlain Valley AHEC will review the applications and choose the students best suited for the program.
Shadow Day Programs
Chittenden County Students
VNA of Chittenden and Grand Isle Counties
October 17, 2014
Application Deadline: September 19, 2014
Fletcher Allen Health Care (FAHC)
Applications will be available in February 2015
Franklin and Grand Isle County Students
Northwestern Medical Center
October 30, 2014
Application Deadline: September 26, 2014
Addison County Students
Porter Medical Center and Addison County Home Health and Hospice
Applications will be available in January 2015
For more information, please contact:
Champlain Valley AHEC
Attn: Shadow Day Program
92 Fairfield Street
St. Albans, VT 05478
Phone: 802/527-1474 • Fax: 802/527-1632